Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Classroom Management

Another week on the job, friends! :)

Last year we implemented the "stoplight" behavior management system that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. Students start the day on "Green" (meaning, they are following all of our set PBIS expectations). If something happens over the course of the day, a child is moved to "Yellow" (meaning, slow down! Make a better choice!) and if the problem behavior continues, they move to "Red" (stop immediately and change what you're doing). I do allow the kids to earn their way back to green by taking responsibility for their actions and making a better choice.

This year we added another color - "Purple!" Our high school's mascot is the Purple Knight, so we use purple to indicate someone who is going above and beyond what is expected, who is being a true leader.

At the end of the day, we fill out a Weekly Progress Report. Here's what that looks like:


As you can see, there's a box for each day, which they color whatever color they ended the day on. (I know other teachers who, if the student changed colors throughout the day but earned their way back to green, has them color the box a couple different colors to indicate that). They also have to write one positive thing that happened that day.

I keep the Weekly Progress Reports in their Friday Folders. We fill them out each day, and then on Friday the students take them home and get them signed so parents know how the week went with their behavior.

I also have a box on this sheet where I write any missing class work or homework, and I staple the work to the page. There's also a box for Teacher Comments (I'll write questions, reminders about conferences, positive praise, explanations of why a student changed colors, etc) and a box for Parent Comments.

Lastly, at the bottom, I have the parent, student AND myself sign them, to show that we are all working together for the student's success!

Wondering where you can get a copy of this worksheet? Guess what... it's FREE! Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers page!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Michele-Kruse

Enjoy! :)

Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment